Numbers and Operations -- Fractions
3rd - 5th grades focus on deep knowledge of fractions. For a look at how this knowledge deepens over time, check out the units of study at Illustrative Mathematics. Here are a few other notable resources:
- The California Math Project has lesson plans, tasks, and other resources.
- Video link with examples can be found here.
- The Institute of Educational Sciences have a unit on fraction development.
- Mathematics in the City has posted some of the professional development materials on fractions as well.
- The California Math Project has a sample schedule for a 1 week professional development on fractions.
- In the video below, Bill McCallum, one of the authors of the new Math Standards, explains the transition from whole numbers to fractions.